Thursday, July 10, 2008

A list of "firsts"

Well so far on this trip I have had a lot of "firsts." First time I have ever been to NH, CT, ME and Canada; first time I have ever eaten a lobster; and first time I have dropped my bike.

Yes, I have dropped Burgma's and Beamerpop's bikes, but this was the first time I dropped my OWN bike. Since my bike is "customized" (aka lowered), the kickstand is longer than normal. This requires very strategic parking. If you park on a slant, you have to make sure that kickstand has enough room to actually hold the bike. Otherwise, not enough weight will be on the kickstand and the bike stands straight up on both wheels.


I had noticed that Burgma's rain cover was waving in the wind like a flag. The flag seemed to get larger and larger as we rode. I signaled the team to pull over so we could tuck her cover back in. We had pulled off the interstate and on to the side of an exit road. Thinking more about Burgma's cover and not about my parking, I put the kickstand down but not on a big enough slant to do any good. As I started to get off the bike, she began to tip to the opposite side (the side without the kickstand). I felt BB starting to fall but I had already started my dismount and wasn't in a position to save it. The good news is there was no mechanical damage. The cover to the turn signal broke and the end of my handle bar is a little bent.
But nothing a little heavy duty tape won't fix.

No comments: